Wednesday, September 30, 2009

My Relationship with My Mother

Is strained. More and more these days I keep having to come up with strategies to make sure that peace is maintained between us. These strategies include avoiding hovering around her for too long, avoiding getting excited when talking about anything with her, avoiding telling her things off the top of my head, avoiding trying to teach her anything new, etc.

But of course I suck at this. I am a jumpy daughter and I want to tell my mom anything. Just my luck I was born with a mother with an inflated ego, immense immaturity, and intense insecurity.

[My point was just poetically proven to me a moment ago, when she came into my room to tell me that an old friend of hers is dropping by, and if I'm asked, I'm to say that she's been working a landscaping job for the past couple of years, which is a blatant lie-- she has been unemployed for nearly that long.]

I never had the problem of my mother getting too involved in my business. It was the other way around. From about fourteen onward my mom had gotten her midlife crisis underway, and decided that she was pretty much done being "mommy." This was because she had met Chris.

No other name has caused me more stomachache and tears, but I'm starting to get over it. As long as he stays in jail, I'm happy, because the longer Mom has no access to him, the better things are for a while. But of course, this reprieve comes with a price, because her romance is so unabashedly rekindled whenever he gets back out.

I may have to continue later.

No comments:

Post a Comment